Saturday, October 25, 2008

Fall Cooking


One of my favorite parts about the fall and the cooler weather is all of the great food that goes along with it. The soups, chilis, breads and pumpkin spice flavors. Cooking is something that I love to do and have to do. Although, it gets very hard during the week with the kids after school schedules, and of course everything happening during dinner time. But I refuse to give in to that and go for fast food or take out (only if I'm desperate). Besides, my kids really do love to eat home cooked food. I also include them in the preparation of the meals. My oldest is an excellent baker, so we always have great desserts thanks to her. My second one loves to cook and can't walk passed the stove without stirring and he makes a great risotto. My third guy is showing interest too and his specialty is guacamole. And finally, the 4yr old is my vegetable washer and she loves her job! So even if it means starting dinner at 2:00 in the afternoon so that we have something good to eat when we walk in from the soccer field, it's something that is very important to our family. I usually double the recipes I make so that we have enough for 2 nights. However, sometimes the kids enjoy it so much that it doesn't make it a 2nd night. Oh well, I can't complain, they are eating healthy and loving it!

This recipe for Lentil Soup with Beef is one I made the other night. I doubled it and had enough for 2 nights of dinner and 3 lunches the third day. I served it with Broccoli Rabe toast. I sauteed two bunches of blanched broccoli rabe in olive oil and fresh garlic place on top of slices Italian bread that I first had my son brush with olive oil (they're great for jobs like that) and then placed a slice of mozzarella on top of each and put under the broiler for just a few minutes. I find that my kids really take pride in their part of cooking the meal and my hope is, they take what they learn in the kitchen and cook for my husband and I one day. Let me know if you try these recipes. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Tutti Chic said...

Dawn~THANK YOU so much for sharing this wonderful soup with us!!! I love lentil soup & this recipe is making my mouth water! Good for those kids chipping in to help too! :) chris

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Oh Dawn, that looks so delicious ! and how wonderful you are raising children that like to eat healthy AND cook.

(())

Eileen & Karen said...

Oh yum! This is the time of year I just love soup! Thanks for sharing a great recipe!
Hugs,
Eileen
Forget Me Not Dreams

The Pink Rose Cottage said...

Oh my! that looks so good! And your presentation is worthy of a fine restaurant!

Laura said...

I love the comfort food that goes along with this time of year, too! Thanks for the recipe. I'm with you on healthy eating for the kids and teaching them to cook. Its not as easy as it sounds, either! But OH so worth it :) Have you checked out the new Ellie Kreiger cookbook?